Thursday 3 July 2014

The steps of a good skincare routine (long but IMPORTANT)

As you may all know, a good skincare routine is vital for long-term results such as less spots and less wrinkles when you get older. That is why it is worth spending a few moments a day to care for your skin. Before we start I just want to say, that if you have acne, hyper-pigmentation or anything else wrong with your skin, it doesn't mean your skin is bad quality. I have a friend who has great skin (partly because she doesn't wear makeup) but she's never used a skincare product in her life, and while now she can't see a problem with that, in the future I'm gonna be the one who isn't afraid to go natural...if you just my jist.

I know that some people swear to not washing the face as the key to their clear skin, but for me it's all about the long term. If you have tried a wash free face life like me and it didn't work for you, I recommend you try this. The results may seem slow, but once your face gets into the routine it'll love it. 

The products I use in the morning and at night vary slightly but the steps you will need to take are:
1. Removing makeup - this is obviously one to do at night. This is such an important step because no matter what makeup you use, it will get in your pores and you will undoubtedly get more spots. I like to use the Garnier Micellar cleansing water, it's a huge bioderma dupe and removes all makeup so easily. I even use it if I haven't worn makeup and the amount of dirt of my face is always surprising. 
2. Cleansing - cleansing should be done in both the morning and evening. It is supposed to remove dirt and unwanted oils without disturbing the skin's natural moisture barrier. This is why it is important to use skincare products suited to your skin type. In the morning I am currently using the Wave by Neutrogena, which leaves your skin so smooth, and in the evening I use Liz Earle hot polish cleanser (I'm currently on my fourth bottle and I love it). 
3. Exfoliating - the product will state how often to use it but I would stay away from using them daily because they can dry out your skin. They get deep into your pores to get rid of excess dirt and oil. I am a huge fan of exfoliants and have tried MANY. I use St Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Blemish Fighting Scrub. There are other ones I occasionally use, but this is my favourite, and I will probably do a separate review of it in the near future. I use this every other day to especially help with my acne scars as well as my spots. Remember that sometimes using an exfoliant isn't always a good idea. Unless you are super gentle, if you have lots of white heads you could potentially break them and spread the bacteria around your face, causing more spots to appear. 
4. Toning - this is a step people often miss out and I only recently got into my toners. They are great, especially if you have large pores like me, because they close the pores and tighten the skin to prevent future breakouts. In the morning I use Garnier toner with Green Tea and Moringa, and in the evening I use the Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic. 
5. Moisturising - This is something EVERYBODY should be doing. No matter how oily your skin is, you should be moisturising every morning and night. It puts back the skins moisture that is lost during the day from the weather (and sometimes even skincare products- that's why it's so important). Never miss a day of moisturising and not only have super soft skin, but you will notice fewer spots and less wrinkles when your older. Again, I have tried many moisturisers but I like to use Superdrugs' Vitamin e Moisture Cream in the morning and evening. Vitamin e is great for reducing redness. 
6. Spot Treatments - there are so many different spot treatments out there and it is so easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of products. You can narrow them down by dismissing ones that aren't made for you skin tone. I have tried many spot treatments in the past and they don't always work, but don't give up if it doesn't work within the first five seconds, be patient. My favourite at the moment is Clearasil Blemish and Marks Treatment Cream. This step is not always necessary, and sometimes I think it is better to use home remedies to reduce spots. I will also be doing a post on home remedies in the near future. 
7. Masks - again, I have tried quite a few masks in the pasts and I'm currently in the process of trying a couple out, so I will do a post about masks, but like exfoliaters, the package should tell u how often to use it. I recommend between 1 to 3 times a week, depending on the state of your skin, and what the product states. Masks get deep into your pores to remove any unwanted oils and dirt (again) and help tighten your pores. All these will help clear your skin and prevent as many future breakouts. 

Start taking these seven steps to help improve the overall quality of your skin. If you want to stick to not washing your face, or trying it. I recommend still removing your makeup (although you should avoid wearing makeup, and should check out my recent post about minimizing your makeup) and moisturising. 

Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment